Sample Rescue Contract
AKC registration number:
Date of Birth:
I (we) agree to adopt the aforementioned dog/bitch from the Harrier Club of America, Inc. (HCA) and, further, agree to the following:
- It is understood that Adopter assumes all responsibility for care of this dog/bitch, except as noted elsewhere in this Agreement. Adopter agrees to indemnify and hold HCA harmless from and against any and all liabilities, demands, claims, causes of action and damages, except as specifically enumerated herein.
- Adopter agrees to provide proper care for the aforementioned dog/bitch at all times. The minimum requirements to include, but not limited to, a quality diet, regular grooming (approx. one bath per month, weekly brushing, ear cleaning and nail trimming every other week), and the following:
- This dog/bitch shall be housed at all times in a suitably enclosed yard or kennel with adequate shade, shelter and water to give protection from heat, cold, sun, wind, snow and rain. This dog/bitch shall not be left or maintained either chained or tied out.
- Adopter shall exercise this dog/bitch on lead only, shall abide by all local "leash laws" and shall not allow this dog/bitch to run loose or roam freely, except that this dog/bitch may be unleashed in appropriate "dog parks" where said is allowed, during obedience training and/or while engaged in specific canine sports where said is necessary.
- This dog/bitch shall receive routine veterinary care as recommended by a board certified veterinarian of Adopter’s choice and/or as follows:
- DHLPP-C (or similar) vaccine boosters annually.
- Rabies vaccine boosters every 1-3 years as appropriate for vaccine used.
- Stool checks annually and dewormed as needed.
- Heartworm preventative daily or monthly year round with yearly cite tests as recommended for your region.
- External parasite (ie fleas, ticks, mites) control and preventative measures as needed.
- Physical examinations, dental cleaning, and any other veterinary care deemed appropriate for maintaining optimum health.
- This dog/bitch shall never be "given up", "turned over to", or "go unclaimed" at any animal shelter, humane society or similar organization. If Adopter is unable to collect the dog/bitch, he/she shall notify HCA immediately.
- Adopter shall notify HCA of any change of address or telephone number within 30 days of said change, and HCA shall retain the right to visit this dog/bitch at times prearranged with Adopter.
- If Adopter is otherwise unable to continue ownership, HCA is to have first option to reclaim this dog/bitch. If it is agreed that this dog/bitch will be placed other than with HCA, HCA reserves the right of approval of new home. The new owner must also be willing to sign a like contract with HCA.
- This dog/bitch shall be subject to repossession by HCA in the event Adopter commits or permits to be committed cruelty or neglect to the dog/bitch. "Cruelty" or "neglect" for this purpose shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
- inadequate health maintenance (nutrition, water, shelter, veterinarian care including vaccinations, or physical cleanliness); (b) repeatedly being allowed to run at large in public areas or maintained under conditions that create a public nuisance, or endanger the dog/bitch's welfare or safety.
- Adopter shall notify HCA immediately in case of serious illness or injury to the dog/bitch, to enable HCA to consult with a veterinarian for possible treatment, or in the event of the death of the dog/bitch from any cause. An attending veterinarian's report shall be furnished to the HCA in the event of the dog/bitch's untimely death. HCA may, at their option and expense, require an autopsy to be performed. In the event the dog/bitch is found to have died from neglect or mistreatment through the fault of the Adopter, Adopter shall pay the entire cost of the autopsy and shall, in addition, forfeit to the HCA the sum of $200 to be placed in the their Breed Rescue Fund.
- Adopter shall furnish HCA with written reports and photographs of the dog/bitch's physical condition and progress at yearly intervals.
- Adopter shall apply for membership in the Harrier Club of America within 6 months after the date of this agreement and shall maintain such membership for not less than three (3) years, or the death or transfer of ownership of the dog/bitch, if sooner.
- Adopter shall begin obedience training for this dog/bitch through attendance of (and graduation from) an adult basic obedience class, conducted by a qualified individual or organization, within six (6) months of adoption.
- This dog/bitch shall not be debarked without prior consultation and written permission of HCA Rescue.
- Adopter agrees to prearranged home visits by HCA Rescue Representatives and/or their agents.
- Adopter agrees to make a donation to the Harrier Club of America Breed Rescue Fund in lieu of payment for this dog/bitch. (Donation amount $_200.00_)
Failure to comply, by Adopter, with any or all of the aforementioned clauses, terms and/or conditions shall result in forfeiture of all rights with regard to this dog, repossession by HCA Rescue without refund of donation amount, and immediate transfer of physical custody. Adopter shall be responsible for all costs of said repossession , including reasonable attorney's fees and, in addition, shall forfeit a sum of $200 to be donated to the Harrier Club of America's Breed Rescue Fund. Adopter agrees to pay $1000.00 liquidated damages to HCA Rescue, per animal and per clause, for each violation of clause(s) 3, 5, 6 and/or 11.
In consideration of HCA allowing me/us to adopt this Harrier as our pet I/we promise and agree to be solely responsible for this animal and to indemnify and hold harmless the HCA and HCA Rescue from any and all claims of liability for the conduct of this Harrier on or after the date of this adoption.
The undersigned(s) further agree(s) and intend(s) that this release of liability and indemnification shall apply to all known, unknown and unanticipated damages resulting from my/our adoption, ownership or control of such animal.
This Agreement constitutes the entire understanding of the parties and may only be modified or amended by a written document signed by the party to be charged. This Agreement is binding upon HCA Rescue, Adopter and their heirs, agents and assigns. No assignment of right under this Agreement may be made by Adopter without the prior written approval of HCA Rescue. In the event that any one or more of the provisions (or the applications thereof) contained in this Agreement shall be invalid, illegal or unenforceable, in any respect, the validity, legality or enforceability of the remaining provisions of the Agreement, or any other application thereof, shall not in any way be affected or impaired; provided however, that to the extent permitted by applicable law, any invalid, illegal or unenforceable provisions may be considered for the purpose of determining in the intent of the parties in connection with the other provisions of this Agreement.
This agreement is made for the mutual benefit and protection of the Adopter and HCA Rescue, for the protection of the named dog/bitch, and for the protection and preservation of the Harrier as a breed. A copy of this Agreement shall be considered as valid and binding as the original. This agreement shall be construed and applied according to the laws of the State of California. Any and all disputes brought, by Adopter, in connection with this Agreement shall be resolved by arbitration. Said arbitration shall be conducted under the rules of the American Arbitration Association in the State of California.
Adopter's Signature Date Secondary Adopter's Signature(if any) Date
HCA Representative's signature Date